King Street West near Stanley Terrace - urgent rail repair
May 14 to 15, 2019
What we are doing and why?
TTC track staff identified a short section of broken rail on King Street near Stanley Terrace last week. An emergency, temporary repair was completed on Friday, May 10. To ensure safety and maintain reliable streetcar service, track staff have scheduled a permanent rail repair for this area.
Starting at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, May 14, TTC track crews will occupy the streetcar allowance on King Street West near Stanley Terrace to complete the repairs. All work activities will be contained within the track area. Work will include; minor breaking and removal of concrete to expose a short section of broken rail, replacing the existing rail with new rail, and placement of new concrete.
Traffic and pedestrian restrictions
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the work zone for the duration of the work.
- On-street parking will be restricted through the area to create a safe work zone for the crew.
- The location and length of the work zone may prohibit left turns.
- The lane restrictions and work zone will be cleared by Wednesday morning at approximately 6 a.m. after the newly placed concrete has cured adequately for road traffic.
Work hours and timeline
- Rail work of this nature is required around-the-clock to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete.
- On Tuesday morning around 9 a.m., the track crew will begin setting up the work zone. Shortly after, localized excavation and concrete chipping will begin in order to expose the rail to be replaced.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail, which will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete will be placed in the track area and set to cure overnight. The newly placed concrete requires curing time before the work zone is removed for the resumption of full road use on Monday.
TTC service – 8 p.m., May 14 to 6 a.m., May 15
Streetcar service on King Street will be maintained during the day when work begins. 504/304 King streetcars will begin diverting after 8 p.m.
- 504/304 King streetcars will divert both ways via Shaw Street, Queen Street West and Spadina Avenue to regular routing.
- 504B/304 King shuttle buses will operate both ways on King Street between Dufferin Gate Loop and the King/John area.
Thank you for your patience during this essential rail repair.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 416-981-1601, email@example.com.
Dundas: Elevator out of service between Toronto Eaton Centre entrance and Line 1 southbound platform.
Last updated May 25, 3:53 AM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service