McCaul Street between Orde Street and Baldwin Street - preliminary rail welding work
Starting April 15 - in advance of City/TTC track replacement project on McCaul Street
This year, the City of Toronto and TTC will be replacing the streetcar tracks on McCaul Street between College Street and Dundas Street scheduled to begin on Tuesday, April 23. A City/TTC Pre-Construction notice related to this project was issued in late February. Additional details about the project will be provided in another City/TTC Construction notice closer to the start date.
TTC Preliminary work
Preliminary work essential to track projects involves welding new rail together in advance of the project, which allows for faster track installation, thereby reducing the construction disruption to the local community.
- Starting the morning of April 15, a TTC track crew will establish a safe work zone on McCaul Street between Orde Street and Baldwin Street. After setting up the necessary equipment and materials, rail welding work will begin. This section of McCaul Street is the most suitable for this preliminary work.
- The welded rails will be stored in the southbound curb lane and will remain there until they are installed during the upcoming track project.
Work hours and timeline
Preliminary welding operations will generally be conducted between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., starting on April 15 for approximately five to seven days, weather permitting. On occasion, welding may extend later into the evening. Efforts will be made to complete the welding work as quickly as possible.
Parking and traffic restrictions
Starting April 15, the following temporary parking/traffic restrictions between Orde Street and Baldwin Street will be in effect in order to accommodate the advance rail welding work and rail storage.
- Street parking will be restricted on McCaul Street between Orde Street and Baldwin Street.
- Access to driveways on the west side of McCaul Street will be restricted between Orde Street and Silverstein Lane. City of Toronto staff involved with this project will provide affected residents with a temporary on-street parking permit to a nearby area.
- One northbound traffic lane will be maintained through the work zone.
- The southbound curb lane and both streetcar track lanes will be closed.
- Orde Street between McCaul Street and Murray Street will be temporarily converted to a two-way operation. Parking will be restricted on this section of Orde Street.
- Southbound traffic on McCaul Street approaching the work zone will have the option of turning east or west onto Orde Street.
No service changes are required as this section of McCaul Street is only used for service adjustments and diversions.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit infrastructure in Toronto.
For further information
TTC contact - Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison Officer, 416-393-2197; email@example.com.
City contact - Temporary on-street parking permits - Paul B Martin, Sr. Public Consultation Coordinator, 416-392-6681; firstname.lastname@example.org.
St Clair West: Elevator out of service between bus and streetcar platform, south concourse and Line 1 southbound platform.
Last updated 4:12 PM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service