Queen Street West at Abell Street - rail replacement
To be rescheduled
What are we doing?
TTC track crews will work to replace worn rail at the eastbound streetcar stop on Queen Street West at Abell Street. Preliminary concrete saw-cutting will take place in advance of the work. Date to be confirmed.
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the work zone.
- On-street parking will be restricted through the area to create a safe work zone for the crew and maintain traffic.
- Some turning restrictions within the work zone can be expected.
A work zone will be set-up and a track crew will work around-the-clock to ensure quality installation of the new rail and concrete. The following is the general sequence of the work and timeline:
- Soon after the work zone has been established the track crew will begin using a milling machine to remove the majority of the concrete in the track area of the streetcar stop. Concrete chipping will follow to completely expose the old rail.
- Pre-welded new strings of rail will be delivered to the work area in preparation for installation. The new rail will be stored in the track allowance until installation. Work will continue into the next morning.
- The old rail will be replaced with the new rail. This will involve some rail cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete will be placed in the track area and set to cure.
- The newly placed concrete requires curing time before the work zone is removed for the resumption of full road use.
TTC service (date to be confirmed)
501/301 Queen route
- Queen streetcars will divert both ways around the work area via; King Street West, Shaw Street, Queen Street West to regular routing.
- Queen replacement buses will operate on Queen Street West between Sunnyside Loop and Wolseley Loop via; The Queensway, Queen Street West and Bathurst Street.
Thank you for your patience while we carry out this essential maintenance work.
For further information:
Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison Officer, 416-393-2197; email@example.com
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service