Yonge Street south of Shuter Street - subway ventilation shaft repairs
Starting April 27 for approximately 8 weeks
What we are doing and why
TTC will begin state of good repair to the subway ventilation shaft situated on the east sidewalk of Yonge Street, south of Shuter Street. This work is scheduled to take approximately eight weeks to complete, weather permitting.
In preparation for the work, some overnight activity is required. Beginning on Monday, April 27 at 12:01 a.m., crews will begin setting up a safe work zone, and installing supports to secure a work platform inside the vent shaft from street level. Due to complications in the vent shaft, crews will have to work through a few nights to set up the platform. Efforts will be made to keep noise to a minimum. Overnight work will also be required for the removal of the platform upon completion of the work.
Sidewalk and traffic restrictions
- The east sidewalk next to the secured work zone will be maintained during the work.
- Northbound traffic on Yonge Street will be reduced to one lane between Queen Street and Shuter Street to create a safe work zone.
- Replacement of the metal grate.
- Rehabilitation of the concrete and steel beam support structure, requiring the removal of the top layer of concrete along the shaft’s perimeter.
- Restoring the surface area surrounding the vent after repairs are completed. There will be a period when work will be suspended for concrete curing time.
A concrete saw-cutter, hand-held power chipping tools, a generator, scaffolding, a small crane, and concrete truck as required.
With the exception of the first week, work will typically take place from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays. Occasionally, the TTC crew will work on Saturdays after 9 a.m.
Once the platform is safely installed, the loudest noise will occur during the day time hours involving concrete saw-cutting and removal.
Thank you for your patience during this essential infrastructure repair work.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 647-461-5133; email@example.com.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service